Gelli Fach

Gelli Fach

I'm a cell, I'm fragmented, I change my form;
I'm a repository of song, I'm a dynamic state.
I love a wooded slope and a snug shelter,
and a creative poet who doesn't buy his advancement.

Wyf kell, wyf dellt, wyf datweirllet;
wyf llogell kerd, wyf lle ynnyet.
Karaf-y gorwyd a goreil clyt,
a bard a bryt ny pryn y ret.


From: Legendary Poems from the Book of Taliesin, edited and translated by Marged Haycock





Tuesday 5 July 2011

July


The month of July, the hay is under cover,
the sunshine is hot, the hailstones melt;

Mis Gorffennaf, hyglyd gwair,
taer tes, toddedig kessair;

Verses of the Months, Welsh c 15th century


I had an unexpectedly nice morning on July 1st repotting some sunflowers for a friend as well as some fennel which had seeded itself - just as well because the parent plant didn't survive the harsh winter. I also dug up my purple sage and put it in a pot for the time being. It has been nibbled by something again this year and isn't thriving - the same with a lungwort. I'll let them get to a good size in the pots and then find a congenial place for them. They are already perking up and taking more of an interest in life.




I've also  repotted one of the small hazel sapling which seeded itself in a friend's vegetable patch. There were two and I've put the other,bigger one at the top of the garden next to the plum tree where it's doing well. I'm still not sure where to put this one and it was complaining about its confinement. So now it is in an old split bucket giving me a chance to decide.



Lest you think all in my garden is lovely, here is a rather ugly,untidy, dirty corner. But of course if it were not for this, the growth and healing and blossoming could not take place.

There are less than pleasant areas of my life too... and I often think that in spite of them, something lovely grows and blossoms. Perhaps it is not in spite of, but because of?

Oh, the dwarf beans have perked up too and seem to be thinking about fulfilling their potential.

Metaphors...


2 comments:

  1. My less than pleasant aspects of my own life tend to facilitate neccessary change. In fact, without them, change wouldn't happen as it invariably does so I have learnt to "ride the wave" sometimes.

    RR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you're right. And I was thinking too that maybe the 'work' one has to put in to learn the skill of riding the wave - accepting, coming to terms with, grieving, making amends -whatever - is comparable to the work of repotting, digging, weeding, fertilising, disgarding, composting and so on. A bit of gardening spirit in fact :-)

    ReplyDelete